St. John's Travels to Creighton on Sunday|
Oct. 8, 2016
Watch Live | Live Stats | St. John's Game Notes (PDF) | Creighton's Game Notes (PDF)
QUEENS, N.Y. - Coming off its best result against a top-10 team in program history, the St. John’s women’s soccer team travels to Omaha for a Sunday matchup with Creighton at Morrison Stadium. First kick is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET.
Sunday's match will be streamed live on GoCreighton.com.
• Two-time reigning BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Year Diana Poulin was instrumental in the Red Storm’s draw with the Hoyas on Thursday night, making three saves en route to her ninth shutout of the season. Those nine clean sheets tie the Hauppauge, N.Y., native’s career high and move her just one shutout away from matching the program’s single-season record held by Kristin Russell, who accomplished the feat in both 2008 and 2009. Poulin is also chasing Russell in the career shutout column of the St. John’s record book, as her 29 clean sheets are just three shy of tying Russell for the top spot on that ledger. On the season, Poulin ranks second nationally in shutouts (9), sixth in goals against average (0.36) and 10th in save percentage (.891).
• The backbone of the Red Storm’s success this season has been the play of its backline. Anna Maria Baldursdottir, Alexis Urbanski, Mikhaila Martinov and Jesse Schaefer have started every game for the Johnnies in 2016, holding opponents to just six goals in 13 games, good enough for a BIG EAST leading GAA of 0.42. Sporting the nation’s seventh-best team GAA, the Red Storm has shut out 69 percent of its opponents this season, good enough for eighth in the NCAA.
• Creighton enters Sunday’s match following a 4-0 win over BIG EAST foe Seton Hall on Thursday. With the win, the Bluejays improved to 7-3-2 overall and 2-2-0 in BIG EAST play.
• Prior to the victory over the Pirates, Creighton had dropped its last two BIG EAST matches, falling to DePaul and Villanova.
• Senior Lauren Sullivan leads the BIG EAST in points and goals with 25 and 10, respectively. Her goal total is also tied for the sixth-most in Division I. Freshman Caeley Lordemann is the only other Bluejay with a double-digit point total (four goals, two assists).
ST. JOHN'S VS. CREIGHTON - THE SERIES
• St. John’s is outscoring Creighton, 5-2, all-time and three of the four matches have resulted in the Johnnies defense keeping the Bluejays off the scoreboard.
• Last season, the Johnnies exploded for their highest point total of the 2015 campaign against Creighton, downing the Bluejays, 4-0, at Belson Stadium on Oct. 11. In that match, Rachel Daly recorded her third career hat trick while Christina Bellero added another tally for the Red Storm.