Beza, coming off a strong 2012, will look to lead St. John's at the Eagle Round Robin.
Feb. 7, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y. -
The St. John’s Softball team will kick off the 2013 season on Friday as it heads to the Eagle Round Robin tournament hosted by Georgia Southern in Statesboro Ga. The Red Storm will open the seventh year of the Amy Kvilhaug
Era with a 5 p.m. first pitch against the host and defending SoCon Champion Eagles on Friday.
On Saturday, the Red Storm will face the Golden Eagles of Tennessee Tech at noon before a second game against Georgia Southern at 5:30. To wrap up the four-game tournament, St. John’s will face-off against Akron on Sunday at 11:30 a.m.
Fans can access tournament notes, social media updates, CoverItLive live chatting and the free video stream for both of the St. John’s-Georgia Southern tilts via the new-and-improved Gameday Central page on RedStormSports.com
- February 8 marks the earliest start to the season in St. John’s history. The 2012 season opener on Feb. 10, 2012 set the previous mark.
- This will be the second straight year that the Red Storm will start the season in Georgia after competing in the Red & Black Showcase hosted by the University of Georgia in 2012.
- There will be plenty of new faces in the dugout and on the field for the Red Storm in 2013, as St. John’s welcomes seven freshman for their first game action as well as new assistant coach, Bob Guerriero.
- For live stats, video links, team notes and CoverItLive live chat, visit the new and improved Softball Gameday Central page on RedStormSports.com
- Georgia Southern will be streaming all contests involving the host-Eagles on their website, gseagles.com.
- This weekend will mark the first-ever meetings between the Red Storm and the Eagles as well as the Golden Eagles. St. John’s and Akron have ment seven times before this weekend, with the Zips holding a 7-0 edge.
- Senior shortstop Chrissy Montez comes into her final season as one of the top returning hitters in the BIG EAST. In 2012, the Santa Clara, Calif. native batted .314 with eight home runs and a team-high nine stolen bases. Montez was second on the team with 33 runs scored after batting at the top of the order for most of the year.
- Junior third baseman Jackie Reed enters the 2013 season after a breakout campaign in 2012, where she batted .311 with four home runs and 35 RBI. Reed made a reputation for delivering in the clutch with several walk-off hits and solid defense in pressure situations.
- Sophomore catcher Erin Burner was one of the top hitting freshman in the BIG EAST in 2012 with a .291 average and eight home runs. Burner maed a splash early with a grand slam in the season’s opening tournament and then went on to hit over .300 in conference play.
- Junior Ashley Beza had a historic season in the circle for the Red Storm in 2012, with 40 appearances, the second-most in St. John’s history, 14 wins the seventh-most in St. John’s history and 160 strikeouts, the sixth-most in St. John’s history.
- All four players will be making some defensive adjustments in 2013, as Montez will move from second base back to shortstop - the position she played as a freshman and sophomore. Burner, who served primarily as the team’s shortstop in 2012 will move behind the plate to assume primary catching duties. Reed will switch corners, moving from first base to third base and Beza will see some time at first base and in the batter’s box when not pitching.
- After the Eagle Round Robin, St. John’s will head to Greenville, S.C. for the Pirate Clash hosted by East Carolina University, Feb. 15-17.
For all the latest news on the St. John’s softball team, log on to RedStormSports.com and follow the team (@STJ_Softball) on Twitter. You can join the conversation with the hashtag, #stjsb.