Reed is a lifetime .600 hitter against the Pirates.
March 27, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y. -
The Last Meeting
February 18, 2012
After a 30-game road trip to begin the 2013 campaign, the St. Johns softball team (7-22-1, 1-2 BIG EAST) will return to the friendly confines of Red Storm Field for a three-game series against local and conference rival Seton Hall (10-14, 0-3 BIG EAST).
Due to the religious observances of Good Friday and Easter Sunday, the teams will play a doubleheader on Thursday at noon and a single game on Saturday.
All three games of the series will be covered with live audio feeds available via the St. John's Softball Gameday Central page on RedStormSports.com featuring Ralph Bednarczyk and Mike Bosch on the call for Thursday's action.
- The series will feature several reunions as St. John's assistant Bob Guerriero will face the team he coached for the past 12 seasons, while Amy Kvilhaug will matchup with Seton Hall Head Coach Paige Smith, who was an assistant coach for the Red Storm in 2007, the first year of the Kvilhaug Era in Queens.
- St. John's is 9-3 all-time in home openers at Red Storm Field, with a 4-2 record in the Kvilhaug Era. This will be just the third time that St. John's has opened play at the facility with a BIG EAST opponent, including the 2001 series against Syracuse to christen the stadium.
- This will be the fourth time in the history of Red Storm Field that the Johnnies will open home conference play against the Pirates, falling in 2005 and 2010, while taking the 2008 matchup.
- Junior 1B/3B Jackie Reed ranks among the best in the BIG EAST in a number of offensive categories, including batting average (.421, third), slugging percentage (.754, fourth), on base percentage (.469, sixth). She is also tied for the team lead in doubles with seven. This past weekend, Reed battled through injuries and finished the series versus Pittsburgh 6-for-9 with two home runs, two runs scored and four RBI.
- Senior infielder Chrissy Montez has been a consistent source of offense in her final season with the Johnnies, and is tied for sixth in the BIG EAST with 33 hits and tied for third in the conference with 15 walks. Montez has reached safely in a team high 19-straight games.
- Sophomore C/SS Erin Burner has been amongst the best at the plate this season for St. John's and her 23 RBI lead the team and place her tied for fifth in the BIG EAST. She is also third on the team with a .293 batting average and is tied for the team lead in doubles (seven) and home runs (six). Burner led the Johnnies at the plate Sunday vs. Pittsburgh with her 3-run home run.
- Yvonne Rericha's speed and durability have allowed her to jump right in to the starting lineup as a freshman, playing all 30 games this season for the Red Storm. Her three triples are tied for first in the BIG EAST, and her eight stolen bases are tied for seventh in the BIG EAST.
- Senior C/1B Dominique Marcelino has started all 30 games for St. John's this season and is second on the team with five doubles. This past weekend in Pittsburgh, Marcelino was 4-for-10 with two doubles, one run and one RBI.
On This Date In St. John's History
- St. John's has played 41 times combined on March 28 and March 30, with 15 wins on the two dates. Last season, the Red Storm opened BIG EAST play on March 28 splitting a midweek doubleheader at Providence.
- The Red Storm and the Pirates have battled six times in school history on March 30, each owning three wins in the series on that date. The last time the teams met on March 30 was in 2002 when the Pirates took both games of a doubleheader.
Last Time Out
- St. John's opened BIG EAST play this past weekend, going 1-2 at Pittsburgh. The Red Storm opened conference play with a win for the first time since 2010 by taking the series opener.
- In the first game of the series, the Red Storm got a pair of RBI from Jackie Reed as well as a 3-for-4 effort from Dominique Marcelino, while Ashley Beza struck out five in a complete-game 5-3 victory.
- In the second game of the doubleheader, the Red Storm jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to Reed's second home run of the day, but Pittsburgh plated a run in both the sixth and seventh innings to push the game to extras, taking the 3-2 win.
- In the final game of the weekend, the Panthers got out to a 6-0 lead backed by three solo home runs. St. John's would respond in the sixth with a three-run homer from Erin Burner, but couldn't complete the comeback, falling 6-3.
- After the home-opening series against the Pirates, the Red Storm will head to Tampa, Fla. to face 2012 Women's College World Series participant USF for the first of two midweek BIG EAST doubleheaders in 2013.
- The Johnnies will return home next weekend to take on Louisville and will make their ESPN3 debut.
For all the latest news on the St. John's softball team, log on to RedStormSports.com and follow the team (@STJ_Softball) on Twitter. You can join the conversation with the hashtag, #stjsb. If you would like to be added to the St. John's Softball mailing list, send an email to Alex Bryant (firstname.lastname@example.org
) with the subject line "Softball Mailing List".