Jan. 24, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y.- The St. John's women's tennis team used the early doubles point and strong play in singles to top the Fairfield Stags, 5-2, in the team's first season opener at home since the 2004-05 season at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Friday morning.
Freshman Anna Morozova won the clincher with a 7-5, 6-0 win over Allison Raddle at third singles proceeding straight set victories from senior Yanita Arnaudova and junior Nastya Polyakova at the No. 5 and No. 2 positions, respectively.
The duos of Arnaudova and Morozova and Polyakova and freshman Stephanie Elgegren each won their doubles matches to give the Red Storm (1-0, 0-0 BIG EAST) the early advantage.
The victory was St. John's second consecutive defeat of Fairfield over the last two seasons. The Red Storm swept the Stags, 7-0, in Stamford, Conn. on Jan. 26, 2013. Friday's win was also the first season opening victory for the Red Storm since 2006 when SJU topped Binghamton, 6-1.
St. John's will next travel to Princeton on Saturday, Feb. 1, when the Red Storm takes on Princeton at noon. To stay up to date with everything St. John's women's tennis, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following the new handle @StJohnsTennis. Use the hashtag and #SJUWT to join the conversation.
St. John's 5, Fairfield 2
1. Khrystyna Pavlyuk (SJU) def. Yajima, Monica (FFDW) 7-6, 6-2
2. Nastya Polyakova (SJU) def. Ryan, Sharissa (FFDW) 6-0, 6-3
3. Anna Morozova (SJU) def. Radde, Allison (FFDW) 7-5, 6-0
4. Koladzyn, Carolina (FFDW) def. Diamond Adams (SJU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Yanita Arnaudova (SJU) def. Pirrello, Victoria (FFDW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nelson, Kaila (FFDW) def. Stephanie Elgegren (SJU) 6-4, 0-6, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Khrystyna Pavlyuk/Diamond Adams (SJU) vs. Yajima, Monica/Koladzyn, Carolina (FFDW) 4-3, unfinished
2. Yanita Arnaudova/Anna Morozova (SJU) def. Ryan, Sharissa/Radde, Allison (FFDW) 6-0
3. Stephanie Elgegren/Nastya Polyakova (SJU) def. Pirrello, Victoria/Nelson, Kaila (FFDW) 6-0
Fairfield University 1-1, 0-0 MAAC
St. John's 1-0, 0-0 BIG EAST
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,2,3,4,1,6)