Jan. 27, 2013
STAMFORD, Conn.– The St. John’s women’s tennis team bounced back from their season opening defeat by trouncing MAAC foe Fairfield, 7-0, at the Stamford Indoor Courts Saturday night, the first victory for head coach Taka Bertrand at St. John’s and her first on the Division I level.
Highlights from the singles play included the first wins in the careers of juniors Khrystyna Pavlyuk and Yanita Arnaudova. Arnaudova, a Chaminade transfer, made her first career start in the Red and White against the Stags.
Freshman Amber Washington picked up her second win of the young season, 6-2, 6-4, while seniors Nevena Selakovic and Ksenia Mikhaylova each picked up their first victories of the year.
The win was the first time since April 8, 2009, when the Red Storm defeated BIG EAST rival Providence 6-0, that all singles players had won in straight sets.
In doubles action, the point was claimed by the partners in the number two slot, Pavyluk and Arnaudova, and three slot, Mikhaylova and Washington.
Next, the Red Storm will travel to upstate New York to take on the Big Red of Cornell in a non-conference matchup set for 3 p.m.
To stay up to date with everything St. John’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by “liking” the new St. John’s Women’s Tennis page on Facebook.
St. John's 7 Fairfield 0
1. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Monica Yajima 6-4, 6-2
2. Amber Washington (STJ) def. Sharissa Ryan 6-2, 6-4
3. Khrystyna Pavlyuk (STJ) def. Allison Radde 6-4, 6-0
4. Diamond Adams (STJ) def. Victoria Pirrello 6-1, 6-3
5. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) def. Nikki Jackson 6-4, 4-1 (ret.)
6. Anita Arnaudova (STJ) def. Maggie McLaughlin 6-0, 6-2
1. Nevena Selakovic/Diamond Adams (STJ) vs. Monica Yajima/Carolina Koladzyn 7-3, unfinished
2. Khrystyna Pavlyuk/Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) def. Sharissa Ryan/Alison Radde 8-2
3. Ksenia Mikhaylova/Amber Washington (STJ) def. Nikki Jackson/Tori Pirrello 8-3
St. John's: 1-1, 0-0
Boston University: 0-1, 0-0