Pavlyuk Leads St. John's To Win Over BIG EAST Foe Georgetown, 5-2|
Feb. 7, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Senior Khrystyna Pavlyuk tallied a 6-1, 7-5 victory at first singles to clinch a 5-2 win over BIG EAST rival Georgetown on Friday afternoon in our nation's capital to give the Red Storm its first conference win of the season.
The Red Storm (2-1, 1-0 BIG EAST) saw doubles victories from Pavlyuk and classmate Diamond Adams at the No. 1 slot, 8-5, and freshman Anna Morozova and senior Yanita Arnaudova, 8-5, to give SJU the point and the early 1-0 advantage.
Junior Nastya Polyakova picked a double bagel win at second singles, 6-0, 6-0, followed by a victory from Morozova at the No. 3 slot, 6-1, 6-1, to give St. John's a 3-0 lead in the match. After a loss at fourth singles, Pavlyuk stepped up with the clincher at the top slot, defeating the Hoyas' Sophia Barnard in straight sets. The win was St. John's ninth-consecutive victory over Georgetown
The Red Storm will be back on the courts on Sunday, Feb. 9 as they travel to Maryland for a match at 10 a.m. to wrap up a three-match road trip. To stay up to date with everything St. John's women's tennis, including Saturday's match against the Tigers, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following the new handle @StJohnsTennis. Use the hashtag and #SJUWT to join the conversation.
St. John's 5, Georgetown 2
1. Khrystyna Pavlyuk (SJU) def. Sophia Barnard (GU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Nastya Polyakova (SJU) def. Kelly Comolli (GU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Anna Morozova (SJU) def. Liselot Koenen (GU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Madeline Jaeger (GU) def. Diamond Adams (SJU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Yanita Arnaudova (SJU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Stephanie Elgegren (SJU) def. Sophie Panarese (GU) 6-7, 6-3, 10-6
1. Khrystyna Pavlyuk/Diamond Adams (SJU) def. Sophie Panarese/Liselot Koenen (GU) 8-5
2. Anna Morozova/Yanita Arnaudova (SJU) def. Kelly Comolli/Madeline Jaeger (GU) 8-5
3. Victoire Saperstein/Sophia Barnard (GU) vs. Nastya Polyakova/Stephanie Elgegren (SJU) 7-7, unfinished
St. John's (2-1, 1-0 BIG EAST)
Georgetown (1-6, 0-1 BIG EAST)