St. John's Defeats Maryland In A Thrilling Comeback, 4-3|
Feb. 9, 2014
COLLEGE PARK, Md.– The St. John’s women’s tennis team pulled off an improbable comeback with four singles victories in singles play, including three won in 10-point tiebreakers, to defeat previously unbeaten Maryland, 4-3, on Sunday morning in College Park, Md.
Freshman Anna Morozova clinched the match at third singles with a 10-8 third set tiebreak after wins from seniors Khrystyna Pavlyuk and Yanita Arnaudova and junior Nastya Polyakova at the first, fifth and second singles slots, respectively, to give the Red Storm (3-1, 1-0 BIG EAST) the come-from-behind victory and its second win of the weekend.
Along with Morozova, Pavlyuk and Polyakova’s matches were each decided in third set tiebreakers. Pavlyuk, who had been down match point, took hers in a marathon, 12-10, while Polyakova’s 10-8 three-set winner gave SJU its first point of the afternoon. Following Pavlyuk’s win at the top slot, Arnaudova took the match at fifth singles in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, to give the Red Storm its first lead of the match, 3-2.
The Red Storm will return home on Friday, Feb. 14 for an 11:30 a.m. match against inter-city rival LIU Brooklyn at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. To stay up to date with everything St. John’s women’s tennis, including Saturday’s match against the Tigers, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following the new handle @StJohnsTennis. Use the hashtag and #SJUWT to join the conversation.
St. John's 4, Maryland 3
1. Khrystyna Pavlyuk (SJU) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)
2. Nastya Polyakova (SJU) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD) 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Anna Morozova (SJU) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) def. Diamond Adams (SJU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Yanita Arnaudova (SJU) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-3, 6-2
6. Olivia Gaudreault (MD) def. Stephanie Elgegren (SJU) 6-1, 7-5
1. Welma Luus/Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) def. Khrystyna Pavlyuk/Diamond Adams (SJU) 6-3
2. Alexandra Stanova/Olivia Gaudreault (MD) vs. Anna Morozova/Yanita Arnaudova (SJU) 4-4, unfinished
3. Nataliya Bredikhina/Olga Bredikhina (MD) def. Nastya Polyakova/Stephanie Elgegren (SJU) 6-3
St. John's 3-1, 1-0 BE
Maryland 4-1, 0-0 ACC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,2,1,5,4,3)