Junior Diamond Adams won her singles match in straight sets after falling behind 5-2 in the first set.
Feb. 15, 2013
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - Led by classmates Khrystyna Pavlyuk and Yanita Arnaudova, St. John's (3-2, 0-0) defeated cross town rival Fordham, 5-2, in a Friday morning clash at the National Tennis Center.
Pavlyuk and Arnaudova each won their singles matches in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3 and 6-1, 6-1 respectively, after the duo defeated Fordham's Sarah Ali and Bella Genkina, 8-2, in doubles play.
At the No. 4 slot, junior Diamond Adams fell behind the Rams' Bella Genkina in the first set, 5-2, before storming back to win five straight games, taking the set and eventually the match, 7-5, 6-4. In second singles, freshman Amber Washington defeated Fordham's Sarah Ali in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, to pick up her fourth victory of the year.
At 3-2, the Red Storm have their best record since the 2003-2004 St. John's women's tennis team that started 4-1.
The Red Storm will return to action on Thursday, Feb. 21, where they will take on BIG EAST rival Georgetown at the National Tennis Center at 11:30 a.m.
To stay up to date with everything St. John's women's tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis
and by "liking" the new St. John's Women's Tennis page
St. John's 5 Fordham 2
1. Amy Simidian (FOR) def. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Amber Washington (STJ) def. Sarah Ali (FOR) 6-2, 6-2
3. Khrystyna Pavlyuk (STJ) def. Angelika Dabu (FOR) 6-1, 6-3
4. Diamond Adams (STJ) def. Bella Genkina (FOR) 7-5, 6-4
5. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) def. Julie Leong (FOR) 6-1, 6-1
6. Anika Novacek (FOR) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
1. Nevena Selakovic/Diamond Adams (STJ) def. Amy Simidian/Anika Novacek (FOR) 8-4
2. Yanita Arnaudova/Khrystyna Pavlyuk (STJ) def. Sarah Ali/Bella Genkina (FOR) 8-2
3. Julie Leong/Angelika Dabu (FOR) def. Amber Washington/Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 8-3
Fordham 1-2, 0-0
St. John's 3-2, 0-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,2,1,6,4)