Feb. 21, 2013
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y.– With doubles point and the match on the line, senior Nevena Selakovic and junior Diamond Adams topped Georgetown’s Vicky Sekely and Kelly Comolli in a nail biting 8-7(7) decision to give St. John’s (4-2, 1-0) the 4-3 win over the Hoyas, its first BIG EAST win of the season.
The Red Storm were put into a position to clinch by No. 2 doubles partners senior Yanita Arnaudova and freshman Amber Washington who defeated the Hoyas’ Madeline Jaeger and Sophie Panarese, 8-6. Arnaudova, whose match in singles went to three sets and was the last to finish, had been on the court for nearly four hours when her and Washington gave St. John’s the advantage.
In singles play, along with Adams winning 6-4, 6-2 to pick up her fourth win of the young season, senior Ksenia Mikhaylova tallied a big singles point in a hard fought victory over Georgetown’s Taylor Perz, 7-5, 6-4.
After dropping the first three games in the second set, Washington stormed back to take the 4-3 lead. She would go on to win the match 6-4, 6-3 in second singles. With the win, Washington moves to 5-1 on the season.
The Red Storm will remain at the National Tennis Center for a 4 p.m BIG EAST matchup against USF on Saturday, Feb. 23.
To stay up to date with everything St. John’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by “liking” the new St. John’s Women’s Tennis page on Facebook.
St. John's 4 Georgetown 3
1. Vicky Sekely (GU) def. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) 6-2, 6-4
2. Amber Washington (STJ) def. Kelly Comolli (GU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Diamond Adams (STJ) def. Madeline Jaeger (GU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Sophie Panarese (GU) def. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) def. Taylor Perz (GU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Liz Hamlin (GU) def. Terri Thomas (STJ) 6-3, 6-0
1. Diamond Adams/Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Vicky Sekely/Kelly Comolli (GU) 8-7 (9-7)
2. Yanita Arnaudova/Amber Washington (STJ) def. Madeline Jaeger/Sophie Panarese (GU) 8-6
3. Ksenia Mikhaylova/Terri Thomas (STJ) vs. Taylor Perz/Liz Hamlin (GU) 7-7 (4-2), unfinished
Georgetown: 5-2, 1-1
St. John's: 4-2, 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,1,3,2,5,4)