Selakovic Notches Win In The Red Storm's Loss To No. 47 USF, 6-1|
Feb. 23, 2013
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. (Feb. 23, 2013) – Despite strong efforts from their first and second singles players, the St. John’s women’s tennis team (4-3,1-1) were edged by No. 47 USF, 6-1, at the National Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
Down 4-3 in the first set, senior Nevena Selakovic came all the way back to win the set, 6-4. After dropping the second set, it came down to a tiebreaker in the third with the Serbia native prevailing 10-8.
At the No. 2 slot, freshman Amber Washington gave USF’s Loreto Alonso Martinez all she could. Washington claimed the first set 6-2 and but lost second, 6-3, and a hard-fought third set, 6-4.
Taka Bertrand and her squad will next travel to Florida for a slate of upcoming matches against Sunshine State teams such as Florida Gulf Coast (Feb 26), Florida Atlantic (Feb. 27) and Florida International (Feb. 28).
To stay up to date with everything St. John’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by “liking” the new St. John’s Women’s Tennis page on Facebook.
No. 47 USF 6 St. John’s 1
1. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Katie Vasenina (USF) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Loreto Martinez (USF) def. Amber Washington (STJ) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Danielle Mills (USF) def. Diamond Adams (STJ) 6-3, 6-1
4. Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kayla Rizzolo (USF) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 6-4, 6-0
6. Paula Montoya (USF) def. Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) 6-3, 6-0
1. Nevena Selakovic/Diamond Adams (STJ) vs. Kayla Rizzolo/Danielle Mills (USF) 5-6, unfinished
2. Katie Vasenina/Loreto Martinez (USF) def. Yanita Arnaudova/Amber Washington (STJ) 8-5
3. Fanny Fracassi/Paula Montoya (USF) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova/Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) 8-4
No. 47 USF: 3-3, 3-0
St. John's: 4-3, 1-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,6,5,4,1,2)