Junior Anita Arnaudova and freshman Amber Washington picked up an 8-5 win in doubles against FGCU.
Feb. 26, 2013
FORT MEYERS, Fla. (Feb. 26, 2013) – In the first of three matches in the Sunshine State, the St. John’s women’s tennis team picked up doubles point and saw a singles win from senior Nevena Selakovic but couldn’t get the victory against Florida Gulf Coast, falling 5-2 Tuesday morning.
St. John’s (4-4, 1-1) took advantage in the match early on with the help from Selakovic and junior Diamond Adams at No. 1 doubles and freshman Amber Washington and junior Anita Arnaudova at No. 2 doubles. Washington and Arnaudova took their match 8-5 while Selakovic and Adams finished the job in a tiebreak, winning 8-7(3) to clinch the point.
Selakovic continued her recent success by winning her match at first singles in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1. The Serb has won 3 out of her last five matches, all at the No. 1 position.
The Red Storm will next travel to Boca Raton, Fla. to meet with Florida Atlantic tomorrow in a Wednesday match starting at 2 p.m.
To stay up to date with everything St. John’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by “liking” the new St. John’s Women’s Tennis page on Facebook.
FGCU 5, St. John’s 2
1. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. Amber Washington (STJ) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6
3. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) def. Diamond Adams (STJ) 6-2, 6-3
4. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
5. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 6-4, 6-0
6. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) 6-2, 6-3
1. Diamond Adams/Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Morgan Bechtel/Bettina Botha (FGCU) 8-7
2. Amber Washington/Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) def. Gyanna Mandic/Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) 8-5
3. Gvantsa Robakidze/Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) vs. Elizabeth Means/Sarah Means (FGCU) no result
FGCU: 3-3, 0-0
St. John's: 4-4, 1-1