Feb. 28, 2013
MIAMI – After dropping doubles point in their match against Florida International, the St. John’s women’s tennis team fought valiantly in singles play thanks to wins by senior Nevena Selakovic and sophomore Gvantsa Robakidze. But the Red Storm (4-5, 1-1) could not complete the comeback, falling to the Panthers, 5-2, in Miami on Friday.
For Selakovic, the 6-2, 6-2 win over the Panthers’ Carlotta Orlando was her third straight victory, all coming at the No.1 singles position. For Robakidze, the win at the No. 6 slot was her first singles victory of the season. The Tbilisi, Georgia native defeated FIU’s Michelle Sabado in three sets, 6-4, 6-7, 11-9.
The Red Storm will next play Florida Atlantic tomorrow at 12:30 p.m., making up for the match that was originally scheduled for yesterday at 2 p.m.
To stay up to date with everything St. John’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by “liking” the new St. John’s Women’s Tennis page on Facebook.
FIU 5, St. John’s 2
1. Nevena Selakovic
(STJ) def. Orlando, Carlotta (FIU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Maisak, Rita (FIU) def. Amber Washington (STJ) 7-5, 6-3
3. Trifunovic, Aleksand (FIU) def. Diamond Adams (STJ) 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 10-5
4. Boha, Giulietta (FIU) def. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 6-0, 6-2
5. Holt, Magali (FIU) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
6. Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) def. Sabado, Michelle (FIU) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 11-9
1. Maisak, Rita/Trifunovic, Aleksand (FIU) def. Nevena Selakovic/Diamond Adams (STJ) 8-4
2. Boha, Giulietta/Orlando, Carlotta (FIU) def. Amber Washington/Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 8-1
3. Gvantsa Robakidze/Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) vs. Holt, Magali/Sabado, Michelle (FIU) no result
St. John's 4-5, 1-1
FIU Panthers 2-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,1,2,5,6,3)