Junior Nastya Polyakova and the Red Storm will face Queens College on March 15.
March 7, 2014
TAMPA, Fla. – In the final match of the St. John’s women’s tennis team’s three-match road trip through the South, the Red Storm fell to No. 62 South Florida, 7-0, on Friday afternoon. SJU is now 5-4 overall on the season and 1-0 in the BIG EAST.
Senior Yanita Arnaudova, who had won five-straight victories at the No. 5 singles slot coming into Friday, fell 6-0, 6-3 to USF’s Olga Martinez. Freshman Anna Morozova only dropped the second match of the season as she was topped 6-4, 6-2 in her first appearance at second singles this spring. Morozova’s last loss came on Feb. 1 against then-No. 70 Princeton.
The Red Storm will return to New York City and the borough of Queens on Saturday, March 15 where St. John’s will take on Queens College at 1 p.m. To keep up with the St. John’s women’s tennis team this season follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUWT to join the conversation.
#62 South Florida 7, St. John's 0
1. Loreto Martinez (USF) def. Khrystyna Pavlyuk (SJU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Kayla Rizzolo (USF) def. Anna Morozova (SJU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Olaya Garrido-Rivas (USF) def. Nastya Polyakova (SJU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Diamond Adams (SJU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Olga Martinez (USF) def. Yanita Arnaudova (SJU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Alessandra Bonte (USF) def. Stephanie Elgegren (SJU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Loreto Martinez/Kayla Rizzolo (USF) def. Khrystyna Pavlyuk/Stephanie Elgegren (SJU) 8-2
2. Fanny Fracassi/Olaya Garrido-Rivas (USF) def. Anna Morozova/Yanita Arnaudova (SJU) 8-5
3. Diamond Adams/Nastya Polyakova (SJU) vs. Olga Martinez/Vera Bessonova (USF) no result
St. John's 5-4, 1-0 BE
South Florida 8-3, 1-0 AAC; National ranking #62
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,1,5,4,3,2)