No. 39 Yale Defeats Red Storm In Non-Conference Action, 7-0|
March 9, 2013
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Despite strong performances from freshman Amber Washington and senior Nevena Selakovic at the No. 1 and 2 slots, The St. John’s women’s tennis team but could not top No. 39 Yale as the Bulldogs prevailed, 7-0, in the first of two weekend matches in Connecticut.
Selakovic’s 6-4, 7-6 loss to Yale’s Madeline Hamilton snapped a four-match winning streak, all victories coming at the first singles slots. Washington forced Elizabeth Epstein, the No. 73 ranked singles player in the country, to three sets before falling, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.
The Red Storm will next take the short trip to Storrs, Conn for a Sunday afternoon match against BIG EAST foe Connecticut at 1 p.m.
To stay up to date with everything St. John’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by “liking” the new St. John’s Women’s Tennis page on Facebook.
No. 39 Yale 7, St. John’s 0
1. Madeline Hamilton (Yale) def. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) 6-4, 7-6(2)
2. Elizabeth Epstein (Yale) def. Amber Washington (STJ) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Hanna Yu (Yale) def. Diamond Adams (STJ) 6-4, 6-1
4. Annie Sullivan (Yale) def. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 6-1, 6-2
5. Amber Li (Yale) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 6-2, 6-2
6. Courtney Amos (Yale) def. Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) 6-2, 6-0