March 10, 2013
STORRS, Conn. – With their backs against the wall early in the match against BIG EAST foe UConn, first year head coach Taka Bertrand and her squad stormed back to sweep singles play and win the match, defeating the Huskies, 6-1, on Sunday afternoon in Storrs, Conn.
The Red Storm comeback was sparked by freshman Amber Washington who picked up her seventh singles win of the season with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over UConn’s Srna Stosljevic. Junior Yanita Arnaudova then put St. John’s (6-6, 2-1) out in front for good with a 6-1, 6-3 win at the No. 4 slot.
Senior Nevena Selakovic won the match-clinching point at first singles with a 6-2, 6-3 decision over UConn’s Maxene Weinberg. Selakovic and Washington are tied for the team lead in singles victories, each have seven. Senior Ksenia Mikhaylova tallied the sixth Red Storm point with her fifth win at No. 5 singles this season, a 7-6(5), 6-2 win over Natalie Robson.
Mikhaylova and doubles partner sophomore Gvantsa Robakidze were the only Red Storm duo to win their match in doubles action, an 8-5 win at the No. 3 slot.
The Red Storm will next take on local rival Stony Brook at 11 a.m. in a non-conference tilt on Friday, March 15, at the National Tennis Center.
To stay up to date with everything St. John’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by “liking” the new St. John’s Women’s Tennis page on Facebook.
St. John’s 6, UConn 1
1. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Maxene Weinberg (UConn) 6-2, 6-3
2. Amber Washington (STJ) def. Srna Stosljevic (UConn) 6-2, 6-1
3. Diamond Adams (STJ) def. Lucy Nutting (UConn) 6-2, 6-2
4. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) def. Abby McKeon (UConn) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) def. Natalie Robson (UConn) 7-6(5), 6-2
6. Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) def. Marie Gargiulo (UConn) 6-7(3), 6-1, 1-0(9)
1. McKeon/Nutting (UConn) def. Nevena Selakovic and Diamond Adams (STJ) 8-6
2. Weinberg/Stosljevic (UConn) def. Amber Washington and Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 8-6
3. Gvantsa Robakidze and Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) def. Gargiulo/Learmonth (UConn) 8-5
St. John’s: 6-6, 2-1
UConn: 1-7, 0-3