March 15, 2013
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - Despite clinching doubles point, the St. John's women's tennis could not hold on as Stony Brook took the match, 4-3, at the National Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
Freshman Amber Washington, who played at first singles for the first time in her young career, lost the first set and fought hard in the second before falling to Nini Lagvilava, 6-1, 6-4. The final dual of the day was a 7-5, 6-4 win from junior Yanita Arnaudova, giving St. John's (5-6, 2-1) its final point of the afternoon.
In doubles, after classmates Nevena Selakovic and Ksenia Mikhaylova tied up the score at one with an 8-7(5) win at first doubles, Arnaudova and sophomore Gvantsa Robakidze clinched the doubles point for the Red Storm with an 8-6 victory.
The Red Storm will remain at the National Tennis Center for their next match against LIU-Brooklyn on Friday, March 22, at 10:30 a.m.
To stay up to date with everything St. John's tennis this season, be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by "liking" the new St. John's Women's Tennis page on Facebook.
Stony Brook 4, St. John's 3
1. Nini Lagvilava (Stony Brook) def. Amber Washington (STJ) 6-1, 6-4
2. Polina Movchan (Stony Brook) def. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jackie Altansamal (Stony Brook) def. Diamond Adams (STJ) 6-4, 6-1
4. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) def. Cassie Dix (Stony Brook) 7-5, 6-4
5. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) def. Becky Shtilkind (Stony Brook) 7-6(5), 1-6, 6-2
6. Lisa Seyton (Stony Brook) def. Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) 6-3, 6-3
Stony Brook: 4-3, 0-0
St. John's: 6-7, 2-1